Historic Places Plaque Presentation
In 1991, the U.S. Coast Guard submitted the paperwork for Fairport Harbor West Lighthouse to be listed on the National Register of Historic Places and it was officially listed on the Register on April 10, 1992. This prestigious registry is maintained by the National Park Service of the U.S. Department of the Interior. According to its website, “The National Register of Historic Places is the official list of the Nation's historic places worthy of preservation. Authorized by the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, the National Park Service's National Register of Historic Places is part of a national program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate, and protect America's historic and archeological resources.” More than 95,000 properties are listed on the National Register and almost every county in the U.S. has at least one place listed.
In August 2016, to celebrate National Lighthouse Day, August 7th, we were honored to welcome Congressman David Joyce and his staffer, Tim Lolli, for a tour of the lighthouse as well as a ceremonial National Register of Historic Places plaque presentation. The plaque presented by Congressman Joyce reads: Fairport Harbor West Breakwater Light has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior. The lighthouse was built at the Buffalo Lighthouse Depot and transported via the Steamer Wotan to its current location. The beacon was first lit June 9, 1925.
Along with Congressman Joyce and Mr. Lolli, long-time volunteers Connie Murzyn and Phi Van Tilburg attended as well as Paul Kontra, who completed much of the interior restoration work. The plaque is now mounted to the right of the lighthouse’s front door, ensuring it is one of the first things visitors see upon arrival. The plaque was manufactured by All-Craft Wellman Products, Inc. of Willoughby, Ohio. In additional to being on the National Register, the lighthouse has been restored in accordance with the Ohio State Preservation Office guidelines.